Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Gold's, I barely know you anymore

I've been so focused on the swim, bike and run that I have almost completely neglected my strength training. There was a point a few months ago that I was lifting weights 6 days a week. Now, it's been more than eight weeks since I have even been to the gym to lift. That, is NOT GOOD!

So, this morning, I am going to change all that. Seems like the perfect time (it's still dark outside. Since the days are getting shorter, it's harder to workout in the morning). I have to be done with my morning workout in time to take my daughter to 7:30 volleyball practice. So at 5:15, I'm up and out. Get to the gym by 5:30 and that gives me an hour and fifteen minutes to get a good lifting session in (need to leave by 6:45 in order to make it home by 7:00).

Like I said before, its been a wile since I lifted. And, since I know I'm going to be sore for the next day (or two), the idea is to just get in and get a good all-around workout. Not worried about going heavy. Experience note: when starting a lifting program for the first time, or re-starting after a long layoff, ease into it. Low weight, lots of compound movements, let your body get used to the stress of resistance training.

Like a kid who found a favorite toy which had been misplaced months before, I enthusiastically worked through an upper body program: Chest, Back, bis, tris and shoulders. Now I remember why I love this stuff so much. Nothing like and elevated heart rate and a good muscle pump.

So, here is my routine from my first day back in the gym:
Chest: Bench, Incline Bench
Back: Seated cable-row, Lat pull-down
Biceps: Chin ups, Barbell curl
Triceps: Skull crushers, Press-downs
Shoulders: Seated press, Upright rows

The workout was great, but the ideal situation would be if I was able to lift at home. The time and effort involved with taking a trip to the gym is the largest drawback to a lifting program. Unfortunately, I just don't have the space or money for an in-home weight lifting solution. This is something I will need to solve someday.

No comments: