Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Get-me-over fastball

I've been so busy with work and soccer this week that I haven't been able to train the last two days. I think I am starting to feel the effects (willing to concede this could be 0% physical and 100% psychological). Nevertheless, I am determined to get a workout in today. Even if it's a short one.

So, it's 5:00pm and I need to leave by 6:00pm to take my daughter to TVSC soccer practice. Followed by an AYSO meeting which probably won't get over until after 9:00pm. So, it's now or never for today's workout.

Not to worry, I should be able to get a quick 3-miler in before I need to get ready to go. It's been a while since I have worn the ASICS Kayano's, so I pull them out of the closet and lace them up. Then find a pair of shorts to wear. You know, I really should keep track of the shorts I like to run in. There are some which I think would be good, then I get out, get going, and hate them. Inevitably, I don't recall which ones they were and I end up doing the same thing all over again. dumb. Today I pull out a pair of the grey mesh Old Navy's, these should be good (I hope).

At about 5:15pm I am out the door and on my way. music is good, weather is great. Only five minutes in and this run is hard. I feel heavy and sluggish and even though I'm not sure what my pace is, it has to be slow. I reach the turn-around point at Sunnywood 17:30 into the run. Yep, slow. But, I'm working and I feel good about that.

This run is like a get-me-over fastball. You know the time when the pitcher gets down in the count, and you just need something good to work from. A new starting point. At that point, he is not looking to throw the best pitch in the world, just something to get over the plate for a strike. Something to build on. Today's run was my get-me-over fastball.

I stride into my driveway just under 35 minutes (34:57:32) after I left. Not much time before I have to go. Just enough time for a quick cool down walk and stretch. This workout wasn't especially pretty, but it was good.

No comments: