Sunday, June 28, 2009

Saguaro East trails... again!

It's Sunday morning and I am back out in the Saguaro National Park East. Yesterday, I ran with BC, 5:30a at the end of speedway. Today, I am meeting Corey and Ced (NC) at 6:00a at the end of Broadway. The three of us did a similar trail run last weekend. Two weekends ago, Jag (NC) and Charlie (NC) showed up as well, but I haven't seen them for a while.... slackers.

As we did last week, we start our run on Douglas Springs Trail. The most difficult part of this trail run is the first three miles, which is ALL climb. Just as I hit the 3 mile mark, I take the right and start heading south (more southwest really) on Three Tank trail. Apparently, this trail is not a popular one because the overgrowth is amazing. In fact, at times, it's hard to determine where the trail is. By this time my legs are heavy and I am struggling a bit.

Just before I reach the steel tank, I see Corey and Ced stopped up ahead. Corey said the trail markers were kind of confusing so he came back to make sure Ced and I took the correct trail. (The reason this is so significant relates to two weeks ago when Jag was gone for more than an hour after everyone else was back. Jag's explanation for the whole incident is still highly suspect and of considerable debate. But, that is a story for another day).

At the steel tank, we exit Three Tank trail and pick up Carrillo. Carrillo takes us back around the backside of the small mountain range and up the back way to Garwood Dam. This is the second time in two days I have been to this dam. Finally I pick up Garwood Trail again and follow it north toward "home". After all is said and done, that loop was 7.07 miles. A whole lot of climbing and on more than one occasion I looked down at my Garmin to see my heart rate at 160+.

More than 13 miles in trails in a 48 hour period was quite the weekend. Finally it was time to head home. The wife is still out of town and the kids will be waking up soon.

No comments: